IBCarb has funding available to Network Members to support Academic-Industry partnerships that focus on strategic areas of glycobiotechnology and can be used to work up project ideas for further applications to RCUK, Horizon 2020, and other funding bodies.
For all queries contact the Network Manager email@example.com
***Looking for collaborators?*** Log in to the members area and check our directory! Alternatively contact the Network Manager.
There are 4 types of funding available from IBCarb:
1. IBCarb Event Travel Bursaries for Early Stage Researchers (£200 max)
Travel bursaries of up to £200 are available for PhDs and Post Docs to attend IBCarb events. Please contact the Network Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the event you wish to attend with the event details, a CV and a letter of support from your supervisor or line manager. Applicants must be IBCarb network members. You will be reimbursed after the event on submission of a travel claim form and all travel receipts/tickets. Previous recipients are still eligible to apply.
2. Business Interaction Vouchers (up to £10K)
Deadline for applications: currently closed, contact Claire.email@example.com for info.
These vouchers (up to £10K maximum) are intended to help resource small confidence-building measures between an academic partner and an industrial based partner that are likely to lead to outcomes of:
- A longer-term relationship
- Improved interaction
- New research technology transfer project
Business Interaction Vouchers are available for the lifetime of IBCarb network and members can apply at any time. Applications should be submitted by the 14th of the month in order to be evaluated that month. Proposals submitted after this date will be reviewed the following month.
Eligibility & Criteria
- Vouchers can be up to a maximum value of £10K (inclusive of VAT)
- They are awarded to the academic partner to tackle a problem relevant to the industrial partner
- The work must be clearly defined from the outset and must be completed within 6 months
- Should focus attention on UK based partners and participants must be members of IBCarb BBSRC NIBB
- Available to academic members of IBCarb who are eligible to receive BBSRC funding
- Industrial partner contribution is expected to be at least to the value of the innovation voucher as cash or in-kind contribution
- The work must be relevant to the aims of IBCarb BBSRC NIBB and in particular Industrial Biotechnology (to be identified in the Gateway Question)
- IBCarb BBSRC NIBB Business Interaction Vouchers are counted as de minimis aid. Industrial partners need to ensure they are not in breach of de minimis aid rules by accepting the Innovation voucher. For further information see https://www.gov.uk/state-aid
Please send any queries and applications to the IBCarb Network Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Proof of Concept Funding (up to £20K)
Deadline for applications: Friday 30th June 2017 – ***FINAL call for applications***
IBCarb Proof of Concept funds are available to support projects that focus on strategic areas of glycobiotechnology and can be used to work up project ideas for further applications to RCUK, Horizon 2020, and other funding bodies, or to set up strategic collaborations with industry and public partners. We will consider applications in each of our themes; Tools; Renewables (materials, chemical and energy); Health; and, Societal Impact that align with the BBSRC Industrial Biotechnology agenda (see more here).
This is our final call and we have ~£140,000 (at 100% FEC) left to allocate to IBCarb members.
- Be £20,000 at 100% FEC (i.e. £16,000 at 80% FEC) maximum value;
- Be no more than six months in duration;
- Commence no later than January 2018;
- Have strong industry/public support and steerage;
- Align with the BBSRC Industrial Biotechnology agenda;
- Follow BBSRC funding rules.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Applicants must be academic members of IBCarb BBSRC NIBB and it is expected that you have attended an IBCarb event. (see www.ibcarb.com/events/ for upcoming events).
- The work must be relevant to the aims of IBCarb BBSRC NIBB and in particular Industrial Biotechnology (to be identified in the Gateway Question).
- Eligibility criteria are in line with those required for BBSRC responsive mode funding.
- Funding should go to the academic partners, but up to 20% of the project value can be subcontracted to industry to buy a service or to an SME to facilitate involvement. (Note State Aid rules will apply here – see https://www.gov.uk/state-aid or contact the Network Manager for guidance.)
4. Undergraduate Summer Studentships 2016 (up to £2500)
Deadline for applications: CLOSED
IBCarb funding is now available to support undergraduate summer studentships for summer 2016. This will take the form of a student stipend for up to 8 weeks (pro rata) and up to £400 consumables overall (maximum cost £2000 at 80% FEC; £2500 overall). Preference will be given to projects with industrial involvement with secondments in an industry laboratory encouraged. We also welcome applications that will develop outreach and policy activities.
Where an Early Career Researcher (<10 years in active postgraduate research; does not hold a tenured position) has contributed to the development of the proposal, they should be named as the Researcher Co-Investigator.
Projects will be reviewed and awarded by the IBCarb Executive Committee. Successful applicants will be provided with a reporting template to be completed at the end of the project by the student before payment. Please note projects will be funded at 80% FEC.
***Looking for project partners and collaborators?*** Check the IBCarb members directory or contact the Network Manager. You can also visit Enterprise Europe Network for brokering, advice & support to access European Markets and funding opportunities.
Other funding sources:
Horizon 2020 – EU research and Innovation programme with ~€80bn of funding available over 7 years from 2014 to 2020. Details of the various calls can be found here
RCUK & Innovate UK – various funding calls throughout the year. To find out more about their respective calls visit the websites.