IBCarb hosted a workshop UK-Latin-America Workshop “Glycobiotechnology Tools for Human Health” a joint event with the Glycoscience in Health Network (México) that took place at the Manchester Institute of Biotechnology, University of Manchester on 2-3 May 2017. Approximately 60 delegates attended this 2 day event.
Our visitors from Latin-America who all gave key note talks were:
- Ivan Martínez Duncker (Cell Dynamics Research Center. Morelos State Autonomous University, México)
- Juana E. Reyes Martínez (University of Guanajuato – México)
- Héctor M. Mora Montes (University of Guanajuato, México)
- Yobana Pérez Cervera (Universidad Benito Juárez de Oaxaca – México)
- Carlos Josué Solorzano Mata (Universidad Benito Juárez de Oaxaca, México)
- Leila Lopes-Bezerra (Rio de Janeiro State University, Brazil
From the IBCarb network, Pauline Rudd (NIBRT, IE) & Rob Field (John Innes Centre) gave key note talks and there were a series of flash presentations from a number of IBCarb members.
During the discussions 3 key health areas were identified where glycobiotechnology solutions could address the challenges:
- Human Gut Microbiome;
- Carbohydrate based vaccines (including adjuvants and glycoconjugates);
- Diagnostics/Precision Medicines.
Joint funding proposals will be developed between delegates. The workshop will be followed up by a event taking place at University of Guanajuato, México in October with support from the Newton Fund and a roadmap is planned for late 2017 so watch this space!